origin of the Town
first recognisable as a name in a report written
by a convict, James Bracewell, who escaped from
Moreton Bay Penal Settlement in 1827 and fled
north through the Noosa area. In the report of
his activities following his escape and
subsequent surrender six years later, Bracewell
refers to a 'Huon Mundy', whom he describes as a
warrior of a local Aboriginal group. The name
reappears often in other contexts. Although there
are many different spellings, it does seem likely
that someone bearing a similar name did, in fact,
exist in the area.
the naming of Eumundi was derived from this
source, however, is still under debate, since an
Aboriginal term 'ngumundi' meaning 'black snake'
has also been widely adopted as the origin of
the authenticity of this derivation is under
question as it is possible that this word has
been adopted from a South Australian dialect.
the truth, the township of Eumundi came into
being in 1891 with the construction of the
railway line between Cooroy and Yandina.
to the development of the town itself, a European
settlement had been established on Arundell's
selection (Portion 122) which was situated across
the present Bruce Highway along the Kenilworth
Road. This settlement served the railway camp
(Main Camp) that housed the workers constructing
the line. The first provisional school was also
The first in a
series of Photographic Interpretative Activities
is available now in black and white, reproducible
The first topic
of interpretation is "education" in the
local district. These historic photographs are of
local schools and students.
more information or a copy of these publications, please contact
the Museum Staff
07 5442 8762